Front End Web Developer with 20+ years of experience in web development for education and companies ranging from startup to enterprise. Extensive background in website creation and launch, new feature implementation, maintenance, and optimization within multiple Web Content Management Systems. Currently focused on mastering my skills in Inclusive Design. My goal is to make the web usable for everyone.
Independent Contractor2015-04 — Current
Front End Web Developer
- On Tap, LLC: WordPress site development and WCAG testing.
- Carson Bank: Implemented a design on an existing platform where the design was not properly applied.
On Tap, LLC 2016-08 — 2021-09
Front End Web Developer
Developed, maintained, and created new features for 45 WordPress websites for small and medium-sized companies on the WP Engine platform.
- Introduced the Agile methods of stand up and retrospective to the company to improve new site project implementations.
- Created process documentation for website development, migration, quality assurance, go live, monitoring, and optimization to support team members with proven processes.
- Introduced proper storage of passwords through the implementation of a password manager to help secure client data.
- Developed new responsive websites with provided designs and filled in design gaps when needed to assist in delivering projects on time.
- Audited the code base of inherited projects and provided fixes for inefficient implementations to improve site quality.
- Implemented test cases and documentation for third-party code updates to insure proper site operation.
- Provided timely updates to plugins, themes, core files, and PHP to support security.
- Updated numerous DNS records for go-lives and site acquisitions.
- Assessed crawl errors in Google Search console and ensured proper implementation of redirects to safe-guard search engine indexing.
- Guided teammates on UX principles in order to provide users with best of class experiences.
- Advocated and implemented elements to support website accessibility to make site implementations usable for all visitors.
VMLY&R 2016-04 — 2016-08
Contract Lead Web Developer
Led a team of Front End Web Developers on the Sprint client engagement.
- Helped onboard new contractors to the team.
- Facilitated one-on-one meetings with team members to assess progress.
- Provided new team members with AEM training.
Lexmark and Perceptive Software2007-04 — 2016-04
In 2007, I began working as the sole web developer within the Marketing department of Perceptive Software. I performed updates to Perceptive Software's website which at that time was a flat-file structure with some data-driven pages served out of Lotus Notes. In 2008, I participated in the assessment to purchase an enterprise web content management system. That same year I worked as a part of a small team to implement and migrate our site to the SDL Tridion Web Content Management System. From 2009 to 2011 I assisted in the development of localized websites for our international markets. After being acquired by Lexmark in 2010, we then worked on a follow-up migration to Adobe Experience Manager. I worked on a customer-facing portal built with AngularJS and a CSS animation project to facilitate a sales presentation delivered on a large touchscreen monitor.
- Wrote LESS and Angular templates, directives, factories, and controllers for Managed Print Services portal.
- Developed component dialogs and page templates in JSTL and JSP along with services in Java for site authoring and rendering in Adobe Experience Manager.
- Created content schemas, components, component templates, and page templates with XML and XSLT for producing multiple sites in SDL Tridion.
- Sandboxed HTML5, Bootstrap, custom CSS, and jQuery from Photoshop designs for our prospect-facing website, Partner Portal, annual product conference website, and online thought leadership magazine to enable migration to our content management systems.
- Planned and facilitated usability testing of Perceptive Software website then later partnered with a Usability consultant, Useagility, to perform an in-depth usability assessment.
- Served as a rotating Scrum Master, Testing, and Release Manager.
University of Kansas Medical Center1998-02 — 2007-04
I worked to support the Medical and Nursing school faculty to create and facilitate online courses.
- Designed and developed Flash animations and quizzes using ActionScript to support Clinical Lab Science courses and as supplements for the Digital Photobiology Compendium.
- Assisted faculty in the instructional design and development, including custom CSS, of learning management hosted courses (ANGEL LMS and Blackboard).
- Designed, developed, and created information architecture for flat-file HTML websites to support Nursing, Medical, and Clinical Lab Science courses.
University of Arkansas1995 — 1997
University of Arkansas1991 — 1994
University of Illinois2013 — 2015
Java 1: Introduction to Java and the Eclipse Development
- Java 2: The Java Programming Language
- Java 3: Java Programming Foundations
- Java 4: Java Applications Building
Licenses & certificationsOngoing
- Vue.js Essential Training
- React.js Essential Training
- Learning Data Visualization with D3.js
- UX Foundations: Accessibility
- See more course history
IAAP2022 – Current
- CSS, SASS
- PHP, MySQL
- Node.js, NPM
- Adherence to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Usability Testing
- Information Architecture
- Wireframe creation
- Semantic HTML5 markup to support findability
- Visual Studio Code
- IntelliJ, Eclipse, Sublime Text
- Adobe Experience Manager
- SDL Tridion
- Scrum Master
- Sprint Planning
- Test Manager
- Release Manager